Values and Sustainability
Our values - sustainable development for people, society and the environment.
We support the United Nations "Sustainable Development Goals" agenda and the "Criteria of the Honourable Businessman". As a family business, we are committed to free parliamentary democracy and the social market economy. Our goal is to develop our products and services in a more sustainable and responsible way, guided by the "Three Pillars of Sustainability" (People, Planet, Profit).
The "Criteria of the Honorable Businessman"
The "Criteria of the Honorable Businessman" are an ethical guiding principle for sustainable entrepreneurship that establishes integrity, responsibility and respect. Our company supports these criteria and actively works to ensure sustainability in all areas of our operations.
The "Sustainable Development Goals"
The SDGs are 17 global goals for sustainable development adopted by the United Nations in 2015. These goals relate to areas such as poverty reduction, education, gender equality, climate change and health and are to be achieved by 2030.
The "Three Pillars of Sustainability"
John Elkington's three Pillars of Sustainability (People, Planet, Profit) form the basis for sustainable development, balancing the needs of people, the environment and the economy. The goal is to achieve a balance between environmental, social and economic considerations for a sustainable future.
This results in the following self-committed fields of action for our company:
- is practiced
- implementation has begun
- need for action
CO₂ reduce emissions
- exploit savings potentials
- use photovoltaics
- use e-mobility (1st all-electric company FZG since 2021)
- use ÖPNV
- use remote Work
CO₂ build neutral
- wooden post and beam construction of our buildings, built 2013/2017
- wooden construction office wing, built 2013
CO₂ neutral heating
- pellet heating since 2013
- use resources, don't consume them
- water dispenser in the office, since 2020
CO₂ neutral booth
- CO₂-footprint can be calculated on demand and offset and certified through compensation payment
change in raw material use: from fossil and finite resources to sustainable, renewable raw materials
- use of a wood wall construction system based on honeycomb panels since 2010.
sustainability in the use of raw materials: avoidance of pesticides, toxins and chemicals
- detergents, paints, varnishes
increase material efficiency
- high level of system use without sacrificing individuality
- reduction of waste and packaging
integrate recycling systems
- material specific disposal
- reusability testing
- observance of minimum ecological standards by suppliers
- near-natural design of open spaces since 2014
- company garden, created in 2014
- flower meadow behind the house, created in 2014
- ornamental fish pond in front of the entrance, created in 2014
- green roof over office wing to reduce room temperature since 02/2023
- Maximum reduction of paper consumption in the office through digitization (ERP/CRM/accounting/warehouse) in 2017
compensation of own CO₂-emission
- tree planting campaigns together with the association Lebensraum Regenwald e.V.
2020: 1300 trees
2022: 350 trees
compensation payments to Lebensraum Regenwald e.V and atmosfair
Co2 vehicle fleet output 2022: 39,587t
Co2 emission electricity (35.900kwh) 2022: 15,073t
fulfillment of the criteria of the "Honorable Businessman"
- willingness to accept criticism
- securing financial independence
- profit-oriented management (no return, no investment)
- responsibility for creating and maintaining jobs
- implementation of innovation management
- Optimization of all company processes with comprehensive ERP and CRM system, with start in 2017
means of production - livelihoods
- conservation of natural resources - earth/air/water/heat –
- responsible handling of production material and capital goods
optimize energy consumption
- photovoltaic system for own consumption
- LED insert
- use e-mobility
- use of wall construction systems from renewable raw materials
- use of system floors
- use of traverse systems
- own rental furniture stock
- use of reusable floor coverings
- optimize transport routes
- schedule inbound deliveries
- evaluation of suppliers with regard to ecological and social standards
- buy regionally
- plan collective orders
- buy fair-trade
- strong use of virtual meetings
- fewer external appointments
- practice equal treatment
- live appreciation of each individual
- living mindfulness
- transparency/open dialog culture/team meetings
- Health Promotion
- remuneration above industry average
- overtime compensation
- premium and special payments
- travel allowance when using public transport
- job-bike at JobRad
compatibility of career and family
- promotion of maternity and parental leave
- 8 extra vacation days for everyone
- remote Work
- compliance with legal and safety regulations
- observance of minimum social standards at suppliers
- promotion of education/training/advanced training
- employee appraisals - fixed annually, variable on an ongoing basis
- target agreements - fixed annually
- team building activities, at least 2x per year
- promoting the participation of people with disabilities
- allow office dogs
- member of the Federal Association Office Dog e.V.
- ornamental fish, frogs and insects in their own biotope
- promotion of voluntary activities
arts, culture and sports
- financial and material support and promotion of art, culture and sports in the region (artists, galleries, school, club)
Fields of action in line with climate goals
Understanding the urgent need for sustainability in all three dimensions is not new territory at bbco. Many actions to implement these goals are already underway or in the planning stages. Nevertheless, we recognize that faster and more efficient action is needed to achieve the climate goals set by the international community. We will continue to pursue and document our commitment to sustainability. It is never too late to bring about change.